- This ultra premium wine is from very low yielding vines and only made in limited quantities.
- Family owned and run, single vineyard site.
- Winemaker: Peter Bartle
- Harvest Dates: 2nd April 2013, all hand picked.
- Clones: 115
- Wine Titratable Acidity: 5.5g/l
- Wine pH: 3.62
- Alcohol: 14%
- The grapes were cold soaked for 5 to 7 days
- Hand plunged 3 times a day at peak of fermentation.
- 100% French oak for 13 months, 33% new
- Malolactic fermentation in barrel, Minimal filtering, no fining
- Bottled 23rd June 2014, 210 dozen produced
Wooing Tree – Sandstorm Reserve – 2013
Cromwell’s Wooing Tree, is a family owned single vineyard site, located in the heart of Central Otago, the wine region fast becoming known for its top quality Pinot Noir. For many thousands of years Cromwell has been subjected to sandstorms during strong NW winds. Wind blown sands form Cromwell’s unique habitat as one of the only inland sand dunes in New Zealand. The development of Wooing Tree vineyard created a few sandstorms of its own.
Especially low yielding ripe hand picked fruit, gentle winemaking and extended maturation in French oak have resulted in a complex and powerful wine. It has aromas of ripe cherries and plums, a rich and silky smooth palate and a long spicy finish. A great example of one of the best Central Otago Pinot Noirs – Best rewards are gained by careful cellaring.
- 5 Stars, Michael Cooper
- 5 Stars, Raymond Chan
- 5 Stars, 95/100 Bob Campbell MW
- 92/100 Cameron Douglas
- Outstanding, Mark Henderson ODT